Monday 18 August 2014

K6 GSX-R 600 Build - A brief summary...

GSX-R brakes aren't exactly known for their strong performance. First things first was a set of Ferodo XRAC's, Spiegler SS lines, some Tygon hose to remove the rear reservoir, coupled with a Brembo 19RCS, a Ladybird bracket and a 15cc Brembo reservoir.



A huge thanks to Dave @ Competition Cycle for all the great prices, great advice and priceless wisdom. 

I've acquired a taste for quality, I'm a strong believer in the phrase: "you get what you pay for". So I didn't want any crappy parts on my bike. I wanted the best and didn't mind spending a few extra dollars to make sure the quality is top notch.

I ordered a complete kit of Sharkskinz race fairings with a SBK tail. Not the cheapest, but it's definitely the best bodywork I've seen. In terms of quality, fit and finish. It was a huge bonus that Sharkskinz was willing to drill the bodywork and fit it with D-ZUS 1/4 turn fasteners. The way these fairings fit on the bike was dead on and as close to stock as you'll get. No cutting or trimming necessary.

Swedish gold - Öhlins TTX MKII Shock + 30 MM Cartridge kit:


Always wanted the Akrapovič full EVO exhaust. I didn't want the short pipe, either. Wanted to kick it old school since I've had the shorty slip-on on my 750, I thought it was a nice change. Got a great deal on a slightly used EVO exhaust from the WERA classifieds, ridiculous how light this thing is. 


A couple of more goodies, a Motion Pro Throttle kit and at this time and my brake lines finally came in: 



Took my bike over to JohnnyP's shop out in Mississauga and left it in his care with all the parts, after I dropped it off by about 30 minutes, it looked like this: 


A week or two later, a few more parts came in: 


I tried to cut out the foam pad that came with my Sharkskinz, but I butchered it. I ended up ordering the WC custom cut pad, as well as an ASV Clutch lever, a PCV and an Öhlins damper. Of course I had to have the new style Akrapovič sticker. 

I needed a new battery since the bike had the original battery in it since 2006. I ordered an extremely lightweight Anti Gravity battery and a set of Dunlop US slicks in 125/200: 


I had originally wanted to paint the fairings in the classic Suzuki white/blue scheme. However, the quotes I got were quite on the high side, I refused to pay $1200+ for paint. I went with all black and had some custom decals made by Drew @ Trackside cuts. 



That's right! I had the wheels and rear shock spring powder coated in white as well as some other odds/ends that were coated in black. 

At home where she belongs: 


No comments:

Post a Comment